Fireproof


Lt. Caleb Holt lives by the old firefighter's adage: Never leave your partner behind. Inside burning buildings, it's his natural instinct. In the cooling embers of his marriage, it's another story.

After a decade of marriage, Caleb and Catherine Holt have drifted so far apart that they are ready to move on without each other. Yet as they prepare to enter divorce proceedings, Caleb's dad asks his son to try an experiment: The Love Dare.

While hoping The Love Dare has nothing to do with his parents' newfound faith, Caleb commits to the challenge. But can he attempt to love his wife while avoiding God's love for him? Will he be able to demonstrate love over and over again to a person that's no longer receptive to his love? Or is this just another marriage destined to go up in smoke?
(Plot synopsis from IMDb)

I probably wouldn't have even known about this movie if I didn't have that 2nd job at Lifeway so now I'm doing my best to get it known to others. People kept coming and and saying it was "so good" and "truly amazing" so I thought it might just be worth a peak.

I knew enough about the book and the "Fireproof My Marriage" study we also sold at Lifeway to know the movie was going to be more Christian and marriage-related in nature than most, so I asked Mom and Dad to join Austin and I for the viewing last night. I worried that it would be more applicable to my parents who have been married for 25 years than to Austin and I who are still new in our courtship but I figured there might be 1 or 2 things we could draw from it. Boy was I wrong. No matter what relationship stage you're in (married, divorced, planning to marry someday-with or without knowing who that person is), you will benefit from this movie.

Knowing it was a Christian-made and based movie told me 1 thing to expect: Bad acting. And there is. Not horribly bad but there's no Tom Hanks or Sandra Bullock-level experience to be had. But, there were also a few things I expected that I was happily dissapointed in. Here are the things that surprised me from the movie:

1. It's hilarious. There are parts of this movie and characters involved that made me laugh harder than most comedies I've seen. Really, really funny stuff.

2. The drama is absolutely up to par. This is where the acting doesn't fail. There are a few on-the-edge-of-your-seat moments and they will do just that. I was proud.

3. The sheer number of people in the theater. The movie opened Thursday night at midnight (rather, Friday morning) and I heard that our AMC theater sold out that night. 3 days later, we still had a packed house. It was awesome. It's nice to see such support up here out of the Bible belt for a movie with actual meaning.

So, in case you aren't convinced yet: GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! It's definitely on my favorites list.

Until next time, may "the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:7)

Love you,
Mandy ><>

PS - Girls, take tissues... =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for trying to help get the word out about this. I haven't yet had the opportunity to go watch but I've tried to let others know about it. Glad to know you were pleasantly suprised a few areas.

Aaron said...

We actually rented out a theater and offered childcare at the church building and sold the love dare books!!! This has been an amazing outreach tool, that God has placed in our reach and I am excited to see him using it. I will soon post a comment on your earlier blog but have to have time to read it first.