Posty McPosterson

Alright already! Get off my back!! (That's my sad attempt at assuming you have all been checking daily for an update on my ever-increasingly crazy life.) Ahem...


New Boy

(Oh don't act all surprised. You had to know this was going to happen soon.)

The Dirt:
His name is Chris. Chris and I met via, ahem, Facebook. (Don't judge me! It's actually more interesting than that.) Go back and read the Feb. 27th post about the project I tried to start for the guys fighting overseas from church and you'll see the first mention of his name. What's that? You didn't read that post? Oh, well, how rude.

So Chris is in the Army and currently on his 2nd tour in Iraq. He signed up for only 1 tour a few years ago but go see the move "Stop-Loss" and you'll get an idea of the annoyance. But, just so you know, he didn't act like the weenie Ryan Phillippe portrays when he found out he was going back. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Anyway so Chris and I emailed back and forth for a few weeks. This is the part where normal people say, "We found out we had a lot in common." But have you ever known me to be normal? I didn't think so. Yeah, Chris and I have very little in common actually. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could list our commonalities on one hand:

--Church of Christ background (yippee!) - Though the Army tries very hard to rip the Jesus out of the most emphatic Christians, he still holds the values he learned. Especially regarding the roles of men and women in relationships. Bravo. His parents actually attend church at OP. I met them before him. They're great people.
--Sarcastic and occasionally mean sense of humor - We loooove backhanded compliments (i.e.: "You're a lot more fun when you're drunk." "Yes you do look fat in that. But I like it." And my personal favorite: "You're a tweener. Not hot but not ugly, somewhere in between.").
--A love for shopping, especially shoes (again, don't judge), motorcycles and Corvettes (really I just like anything fast and hot without a Ford symbol on it). This can all but summed up in one word: Materialistic. Shush. We pay our bills first. (Which is a lot easier when you make a good chuck of change and never spend it. What's he supposed to by in Iraq?!) =)

And the best and worst:
--An extremely passionate nature - It’s good because he understands why I get so crazy about things like the youth group, work and stupid little things. He loves it when I cry in a movie or freak out about stuff. And when we’re doing something fun, it’s always a total blast because we both get way into it. But, it’s bad because, when we fight, it’s World War III. And, because we don’t have a whole lot in common, those fights have come a few times in the short time he’s been here. So, when it’s bad, it’s really bad. But, when it’s good…well you get the point. And so far, those amazingly good times have far outweighed the bad times.


Vacation From My Vacation

So at this point, I imagine you’re thinking, “Now Mandy. How could you possibly allow yourself to get involved with a soldier fighting in Iraq?! Are you crazy?! You haven’t even met him!!” Dudes, give me some credit. As Chris would say, “This isn’t my first time at a rodeo, Cowboy.” Let’s rewind Mandy’s life and remember that she’s already met 3, count ‘em 3, guys from online dating sites. She also has an extremely close cousin who’s been in the Army for quite some time now. And, if all that fails, remember this: I’M NOT STUPID!!! Shocking, I know. But seriously, I’m not.

Chris started his 18-day R&R at home on the 24th. Because his family was gone, we met face to face for the first time at Kansas City International Airport (also not my first rodeo…) at 3:00am. He was even more handsome and tall than his pictures. (He’s 6’4” – yee-haw!!) =) After taking care of the R&R part (about 4 hours of sleep), we were off!

One of Chris’ brothers got married last Tuesday in OKC. At his request and because I missed the ski trip from the week before, I took the week off to accompany him to the wedding and then a honeymoon crashing in Branson. Woo-wee did we have ourselves a good 'ole time! (Ok, seriously, enough with the hick-ness already!) Branson was a lot of fun but, by the time we returned, I was so exhausted! I really needed a vacation from my vacation but, alas, the work will not do itself! (Meaning that, by this time, I’m pretty sure my bosses have no idea how to answer their own phones).

But, the good news is, there’s no end in sight! =) This weekend is the ever-anticipated CABB Retreat! Woot woot!! Dude, if you’re not going to be there, you are SO gonna miss out. Besides the chance to see Mandy in a hat (that’s what happens when she can’t wash her greasy head for 2 days), there’s gonna be some majorly good singin, learnin, workin, sharin, and carin! I’m so pumped! I missed the Fall Retreat due to powers beyond my control so I’m not letting anything get in the way of this one! I can’t wait to tell you all about it!


You Had Me At Goodbye

Welp friends, I think that about covers the main part. Once I get this Retreat out of the way and that boy back on a plane next week, we’ll talk more about the upcoming joyousness of moving and getting ready for camp. Until then, remember these pearls:

“The bust of Colonel Sanders stands as a monument to cruelty and has no place in the Kentucky state Capitol.” --Pamela Anderson


Love you all! Happy Hunting!!

-Mandy-

PS – Comment = Personalized shout out from yours truly!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I've said before: You're crazy! But yeah, you know that, and that's why we all love you! Anyway. Congrats on the new man. I found it funny that you referred to him as a boy. I'm sorry I won't be there to see you in a hat, but like you stated, "work won't do itself." Someone has to be the youth minister at Central and since they pay me to do that I guess I'm the best candidate.

Mandy said...

Haha, that's funny, he said the same thing! But he is younger than me so we're keeping it. =)

Cara said...

I've always called my guys "boys". Very fitting now that I have 4 boys - you know Justin! I am excited for you! Deep down I want to meet him but you better not. I seem to have some kind of bad omen!

K J said...

Ha, I called it! :-) Well, you made it way past the Superbowl so I think you should be commended. Just make sure to keep your Josh Harris in mind ;-)